A Cotswold Tour in One Day
This example of a one-day Cotswold tour will give you a taste for beautiful Cotswold hills with its quaint villages, stone houses, thatched cottages, country homes and formal gardens – the “real” England outside of London. However the whole idea of our tours is we can customize the tour to include only what you want to see.
Price for a “One Day Tour” is £500 / $660 for up to 4 people and £550 / $725 for between five and eight people.
These prices were last updated on 30 July 2018 when the exchange rate was 1.31USD to 1GBP; one of the very best exchange rates Americans have had in years !!
THE ANSWER for a one day tour from London, the best option is to take a train from Paddington to Kemble. You can get a train from London around 7:30am which arrives in the Cotswolds around 9:00am – it takes just 90 minutes and without any changes. A very much more relaxing way of doing things! Then returning from Kemble between 5:00pm and 6:00pm you would be back in London in 90 minutes.
Your Custom Cotswold tour can include:
- Pick-up service from your Hotel.
- Tetbury – an “antiques” town and home to Prince Charles
- Cirencester – “Capital of the Cotswolds“
- Bibury – once described as the most beautiful village in England
- Burford – lovely Cotswold village with interesting shops
- Bourton-on-the-Water – quaint village “Venice of the North”
- Upper & Lower Slaughter – not as macabre as it sounds – “Slaugh” translates as “marshy or boggy place” in Olde English! Idyllic villages.
- Lunch in an English Country Pub – No trip to England would be complete without wonderful ales, fantastic food, festive surroundings.
- Broadway – beautiful town with some of the most typical of Cotswold architecture
- Chipping Campden – typical Cotswald town with old marketplace, famous for its shin-kicking and cheese-rolling competitions.
- Drop off at Hotel or other place after your Cotswold tour
If you are based in central London, Cotswold Day Tours by road can be arduous. In heavy traffic it can take between 2-3 hours just to get to the Cotswolds by road, and then you have to get back into London again after your tour.
Also the London guides do not have the intimate knowledge of those “special” places that those of us that live in the Cotswolds enjoy!
For a one day tour from London, the best option is to take a train from Paddington to either Morton-in-Marsh or Kemble. You can get a train from London around 8:00am which arrives in the Cotswolds before 10:00am – it takes just 90 minutes and without any changes. A very much more relaxing way of doing things! Ideally you get a train to Moreton-in-Marsh and back from Kemble or visa versa to avoid any backtracking and to see as much as possible. Then leaving the Cotswolds between 5:30pm and 6:15pm you would be back in London in 90 minutes.
Believe me….there is nothing remotely aesthetically pleasant about the drive in and out of London !
Check this web site for more information –www.thetrainline.com – and please make sure you purchase your tickets on-line in advance as its very much cheaper than buying on the day. Its best to do this with a Visa Debit card with a chip and PIN – make sure you bring the same card with you to pick up the ticket from the machine when you get here that you know your PIN number !!!
Finally, if your tour is for more than one day then of course I can pick you up from your London hotel !